Garden of Ninfa
The garden of Ninfa is located in the central Italy, south of Rome, in the distance from big cities or even towns. It is a beautiful landscape garden placed on the ruins of the ancient village.

The beginning of the history of Ninfa is still in ancient times, in times of the Romans. The name of this village probably derives from a temple dedicated to nymphs. Firstly a small village in an agricultural area turned into a rich walled town in the Middle Ages, located on the Appian Way. It flourished until XII century, when was destroyed and abandoned.

It had to wait until XVI century, when the village was repopulated but only for a short period of time. In XVII century it was abandoned and deserted again. The place, although belonged to Caetani family, was neglected until the XX century when the renovation of this estate and garden took place. The garden was created by Gelasio Caetani in 1921 in landscape style.

The last owners Lelia Caetani and her husband, Hubert Howard left it to a nonprofit foundation named Roffredo Caetani Foundation, which administrates the garden till present times.

At present, there is a beautiful garden, framed by ruins of medieval town, in English style. The river Ninfa, which passes through it, adds even more splendor to these arrangements. This river was dedicated to nymphs in ancient times and gives the garden its present name. Additionally there are many small springs, which together with river as well as frequent rains create special microclimate of this place.

The residues of old buildings, hidden in the plants, attract the eyes of visitors and together with the water create an interesting backbone for the whole landscape. Many species of plants and trees were imported and planted in this garden, including American walnuts, bush and climbing roses, cedars, ornamental apples, yuccas. Beautiful pines, banana trees, cypresses and bamboo can also be found in this paradise.

The garden can be visited only with a guide in groups.




×