This splendid baroque garden is located at the Villa Barbarigo at Valsanzibio, in northern Italy. The garden, rich in beautiful trees and shrubs, is very attractive to visitors thanks to its ponds, fountains and water games.
The garden was created in the second part of XVII century, as a fulfillment of the vow to the God made in 1631 by Zuane Francesco Barbarigo, which was: if his family survived the black plague outbreak he would have created "....a marvelous masterwork to commemorate and glorify the might of God.....". And so it happened.
Saint Gregorio Barbarigo (Zuane's son), who continued the works, wanted this garden to be a symbolic trip to perfection, which brings a man from the false to truth.
At the beginning the garden could be accessed by water through the Diane Pavilion
(known also as Dianes Doorway). This canal connected the villa with distant Venice. The name of this estate came from the name of this canal.
Among hundreds of trees we can find easily many species of pines, cedars, junipers, magnolia, oaks, boxwood, poplars, beeches or maples. And among them, you can find many sculptures, including about 70 statues, made by Enrico Merengo in Istria stone, integrated into the whole garden design.
One of the most magnificent statues is The Monument to Time
(an old man carrying a cuboctahedron).
The garden covers an area of more than 10 hectars. Other characteristics points of this place are:
- the boxwood maze,
- the Hermits Grotto,
- the Rabbits Island inhabited by many animals,
- and many ponds and fountains (the Mushroom Fountain, the Ecstasy's Fountain, Revelations' Fountain) as well as water jokes.